About 45 millions people are enslaved NOW.
From 0.0015% to 4.8% slaves in countrie.
Almost half slaves are from India.
Types of modern slavery: bonded labour, forced prostitution, forced recruitment for armed services, human trafficking, forced work.
How to become slave:
- lose your passport in emigration
- find work in another country through local newspaper(they often find their victims through ads on news paper)
- get huge credit from powerfull person which you can’t pay back.
- born from slave;
- travel and look crazy(they seeking strange people, at rail stations or flight station, and kidnap them)
Lincoln estimated that in 1860 the total value of all slaves in the United States was equal to $2,000,000,000 (something like 52 billions in modern money, if I am right)
Cost of the slave almost no change if we take inflation into consideration.
Price of American slave in 19 century was 11 000 $ – 60 000$(in modern $)
Some features of Slave:
- Born slaves don’t know when they born.
- Some of them think that their master is better than that of others.
- Slaves sing most when they are most unhappy. The songs of the slave represent the sorrows of his heart.
- Suffering from hunger, but much more from cold.
- Men and women, old and young, married and single, were ranked animals. Animals may even cost more.
- Religious slaveholders could be even worse. They are not real religious.
- The average enslaved woman (in 1820-1860 – 100%, maybe now the same) gave birth to her first child at nineteen years old, and thereafter, bore one child every 2.5 years. Because this was profitable buisness.
Now more than 45 millions people are enslaved. Persentage goes from 0.0015% to 4.8% of slaves in countrie.
Slavery changing through time, but never will go away if world stay the same in his esence. People are cruel and like expose their power over another people, which can’t stand up against them – woman, children, old man, peace men who have principles agains violance, invalids, one agains four(Numerical inequality) etc.
Woman has more chances to become slave(X4).
What is the best way to become slave through history?
1) WAR – go to war and you could go dead or be enslaved.
2) DEBT – get huge loans which you can’t pay back.
3) BIRTH – you were born a slave.
4) FAMILY – someone from your family mess up with powerfull man – enslave you and him.
5) Lose your passport when traveling
Best countries to become a slave.
1) North Korea – 4.37% are slaves – 1 100 000 2) Uzbekistan – 3.97% – 1 236 600
The worst countries to become a slave: USA, Europian Unian countries.
1)Bonded labour“Sir, it is the sin of my father that I have to repay the debts unless I shall have to beg. I have a threat against my family. I am prone to physical violence everyday.”(India Survey respondent, 2016)
Desperately poor families go to a feudal employer usually a brick kiln owner or a carpet manufacturer and ask them for a loan, perhaps to pay for medical treatment for a sick child.In return for the loan, the entire family is turned into the private property of the employer.
They are forced to work long hours for pitiful wage and half of these wages are kept by the factory owner as payment towards the loan. The loan may take a generation or more to pay off. But until it is paid, the family are held in slavery.
2)People trafficking [Res]
– forced prostitution,
forced labour – when they keep you and give only food for work. You work on field, which protected from your escape, all day long, except some break, then fall asleep, wake up, eat, go to toalet and again. Field are secure, gurds are watching, and after some months or weeks they give you some money for a train to your home.
They finding their victims through ads in newspapers – they seeking low skilled workers, promise good wage, food etc. But they are located in another country. Often they take your passport.
– forced begging, forced criminality;
– domestic servitude, forced marriage, and forced organ removal.
3) Forced recruitment for armed services
4) forced marriage, sale or exploitation of children;
I think we can add businesses which pay their workers 1-2$ per 12 hours of work. It’s crazy. Banana plantation for example.
I think we should never work on something with a word plantation in it.
MINI Hitory of Slavery
The least fortunate captives from war were sent to work as slaves in the dreadful gold and copper mines of Nubia and Sinai, where, according to the Greeks, water was rationed and men died in great numbers from exhaustion and dehydration in the desert heat.
Travellers were easily and often illegally captured in foreign lands where nobody knew them, and sold into slavery; and there was often no one they could appeal to for help.
Thutmose III ( 1479–1425 BC ) for instance is reported to have returned from a campaign in Canaan with almost 90,000 prisoners.
John Madden of the University College of Galway thinks that in Roman times perhaps 10% of the Egyptian population was enslaved
Some Egyptians were sold into slavery because of debts or sold themselves to escape poverty.
As indentured slaves they did not lose all their civil rights; and sometimes the economic security they gained through their new status might seem to be worth giving up some freedoms for.
Debt slavery was abolished in the Late Dynastic Period ( 664 BC – 332 BC. ). As servants in a temple or in the household of a rich family it was often better than that of the “free” peasants, the serf-like. The very fact that decent treatment of slaves was a moral duty means that they must have been treated badly quite often.
Their period of enslavement in Egypt was often limited. Debt slaves or prisoners of war were at times set free after serving for a certain period.There were times during the pre-dynastic period ( prior to 3100 BC ), when the belongings buried with a dead king may have included some of his servants
America, British colonies and plantation
Average cost of a slave (of any age, sex, or condition) in 1850 = $ 400 ($11,300 in 2009 dollars)
Average cost of a slave (of any age, sex, or condition) in 1860 = $ 800 (#21,300 in 2009 dollars)
Cost of a prime field hand (18-30 year-old man) in 1850 = $ 1,200 ($34,000 in 2009 dollars)
Cost of a skilled slave (e.g. a blacksmith) in 1850 = $ 2,000 ($56,700 in 2009 dollars)
The first slaves to be brought to the British colonies of North America were disproportionately male…because of their strength, enslaved men performed labors that ranged from building houses to plowing fields.
When the Dutch brought African and Creole women into New Amsterdam in the late 1620s, they did so … to provide company for their black male slaves.
Early on, slave buyers in the colonies turned to purchasing female field hands, who were not only more readily available, but also cheaper. Because skilled labor was assigned only to male slaves. Female slaves eventually outnumbered men in field forces.[SOURCE with some picture]
BOONE PLANTATION SOUTH CAROLINE
The average enslaved woman at this time gave birth to her first child at nineteen years old, and thereafter, bore one child every 2.5 years.
While pregnant, she could usually expect more food and fewer working hours. Proven fertility made her more valuable to her owner(less likely to be sold away from friends and family).The slave mother on a large plantation returned to the fields soon after giving birth, leaving her child to be raised by others.
The female slave was being forced into sexual relationships for the purposes of reproduction. If ,for example, slaveholder had money only for one slave then he buy a woman and had sex with her for breeding.
Throughout the period of slavery in America, white society believed black women to be innately lustful beings. Because the ideal white woman was pure …
Captive Africans were stripped of their clothing, oiled down, and poked and prodded by potential buyers.Masters had sex with their slaves. Some of them thought that their master will give a freedom.
As often as black men, black women rebelled against the inhumanities of slave owners.
– Our food was coarse corn meal boiled. This was called MUSH. It was put into a large wooden tray or trough, and set down upon the ground.- Suffered much from hunger, but much more from cold.
– The days between Christmas and New Year’s day are allowed as holidays; and, accordingly, we were not required to perform any labor, more than to feed and take care of the stock.
This time we regarded as our own, by the grace of our masters; It was deemed a disgrace not to get drunk at Christmas; and he was regarded as lazy indeed, who had not provided himself with the necessary means, during the year, to get whisky enough to last him through Christmas.
Slaves didn’t know her age, when they were born.
Mothers were taken from their children after twelf months(placed under the care of an old woman, too old for field labor.)
Former slave Frederick Douglass wrote:
– “I never saw my mother, to know her as such, more than four or five times in my life; and each of these times was very short in duration, and at night”
– “thousands are ushered into the world, annually, who, like myself, owe their existence to white fathers, and those fathers most frequently their own masters.”
FOOD AND CLOTHING
– “The men and women slaves received, as their monthly allowance of food, eight pounds of pork, or its equivalent in fish, and one bushel of corn meal.”
– “Kids clothing consisted of two coarse linen shirts per year”- “Children from seven to ten years old, of both sexes, almost naked, might be seen at all seasons of the year.”
– Slaves think their own masters are better than the masters of other slaves.
Slaves are like other people, and imbibe prejudices quite common to others. They think their own better than that of others. Many, under the influence of this prejudice, think their own masters are better than the masters of other slaves.
Indeed, it is not uncommon for slaves even to fall out and quarrel among themselves about the relative goodness of their masters, each contending for the superior goodness of his own over that of the others.They seemed to think that the greatness of their masters was transferable to themselves.
– Our knowledge of the north did not extend farther than New York; and to go there, and be forever harassed with the frightful liability of being returned to slavery – with the certainty of being treated tenfold worse than before – the thought was truly a horrible one, and one which it was not easy to overcome.
– With us it was a doubtful liberty at most, and almost certain death if we failed.
– For of all slaveholders with whom I have ever met, religious slaveholders are the worst.( members and ministers in the Reformed Methodist Church.)
– Men and women, old and young, married and single, were ranked with horses, sheep, and swine.
– A city slave is almost a freeman, compared with a slave on the plantation.
– To treat slaves as a human being was not only wrong, but dangerously.
slightest manifestation of humanity toward a colored person was denounced as abolitionism, and that name subjected its bearer to frightful liabilities. The watchwords of the bloody-minded in that region, and in those days, were, “Damn the abolitionists!” and “Damn the niggers!”
– White men have been known to encourage slaves to escape, and then, to get the reward, catch them and return them to their masters.
– Killing a slave, or any colored person, in Talbot county, Maryland, is not treated as a crime, either by the courts or the community.
The wife of Mr. Giles Hicks, living but a short distance from where I used to live, murdered my wife’s cousin, a young girl between fifteen and sixteen years of age. The offence for which this girl was thus murdered was this:
-She had been set that night to mind Mrs. Hicks’s baby, and during the night she fell asleep, and the baby cried. She, having lost her rest for several nights previous, did not hear the crying.
They were both in the room with Mrs. Hicks. Mrs. Hicks, finding the girl slow to move, jumped from her bed, seized an oak stick of wood by the fireplace, and with it broke the girl’s nose and breastbone, and thus ended her life.
I will not say that this most horrid murder produced no sensation in the community.